Cheese Please | A Simple and Beautiful Crowd Pleaser
The holidays are a busy time and entertaining can be challenging. Cheese is an instant crowd pleaser. It’s simple to serve and offers a variety for everyone.
The world of cheese can be exotic, stinky and full of jargon you might not understand like Bloomy, Grassy and Lactic. Don’t feel intimidated asking help from a cheesemonger. They are honestly there to help you. Let them know who is attending, what types of food and wine you will be serving to create the perfect pallet. I also suggest being honest about the kinds of cheese you enjoy.
We suggest that you offer 4 different types of cheese:
- Aged Cheese includes: Aged Cheddar, Comte and Gouda
- Soft Cheese includes: Camembert, Boursin, Brie and Goat
- Firm Cheese includes: Manchego, Gruyere, Jaslsberg, Monterey Jack and Provolone
- Blue Cheese includes: Gorgonzola, Stilton and Roquefort.
Other Helpful Hints:
- Always have a familiar cheese on your platter for the non-adventurous cheese folks. Well-aged cheddar is a safe bet. My personal favourite is imperial cheese.
- Don’t mix too many flavoured cheeses to distract from the flavours. Keep it simple.
- Serve the cheeses at room temperature. Take it out of the fridge 1 hour before your guests arrive to maximum flavour.
- Stick to 4-5 cheeses max. Anything more becomes overwhelming. Get creative by mixing textures and cheeses made from a variety of milk types.
- Don’t crowd the tray. Remember you have to still be able to cut the different varieties.
- Mix your platter with sweet and salty nibbles. From fig compote, grapes, cured meats and mixed nuts, have little bite sized nibbles cleanse the pallet between cheese types.
- Mix the carbs. Crackers, baguette medallions and crostini’s are some of our favourites.
Have fun, and remember there is no right or wrong way to make a cheese platter.
And remember any left overs, can be wrapped up in your Abeego.Abeego really is cheese's best friend as it acts like the natural rind on the cheese. You will be pleasantly surprised, we guarantee it.
Leave a comment