Adultify Your Sandwich with 6 Easy Hacks
As adults, we tend to complicate things. At Abeego, we’re always looking at ways to simplify and there’s nothing like making lunch for your kids to bring you back to basics.
If you crave the simplicity of a kid’s lunch but yearn for something a bit more sophisticated, we’re here to show you how to adultify your basic kids sandwich.
- Remember family recipes
- Simple sandwich hacks
- Save food and use leftovers
- Lunch sandwich ideas
- How to use your Abeego to keep your sandwich fresh in a beeswax sandwich wrap
So tuck a napkin into your shirt collar and dig in!
TIME MACHINE SANDWICH
Food holds memories. Sometimes it’s expected, such as serving the same dish for special family occasions. Other times, it can catch you off guard, such as biting into your kid’s leftover peanut butter and jelly sandwich when suddenly you’re hugged by the memory of sitting in a sunbeam at grandma’s kitchen counter with a cold cup of milk to wash it down.
When intertwined with generational history and family traditions, even a simple sandwich can be a way to honor your memories, keep you grounded, and nourish both your body and soul.
Cultures progress by expanding on what has come before. In this spirit, we invite you to add your own variation with these simple sandwich hacks—and you’ll save food in the process!
EASY HACKS FOR ADULTIFYING YOUR KID SANDWICH
- Save food and keep it simple! Open the crisper, unwrap your Abeego and design your sandwich around what needs to be eaten.
- Try different breads like rye, sourdough, or think outside the loaf and try baguettes, bagels, croissants, pitas, and donuts (that’s right, we went there).
- Swap ingredients for upscale variations, such as brie instead of cheddar.
- Add herbs, sliced veggies or fruit, like cilantro, spinach, nectarines, apples or grapes. Remember the golden rule: bacon is good on everything.
- Experiment with condiments, from mustards and mayos to pestos and tapenades. Finish your sandwich with a pickle or (oh heck why not) a cherry on top.
- Presentation is everything: flatten bread and roll it up, dip in egg and fry, or cut it into bite-sized cubes and turn your lunch into appy-hour.
How to make the best grown-up peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Let’s apply the above sandwich hacks to your basic peanut butter and jelly. What bread do you have on hand? Maybe you have a croissant, a wrap or a day-old donut. Instead of peanut butter, try other nut or seed butters, from almond to tahini.
For the jelly, think wine or jalapeno, or try preserves or sliced fruit like strawberries or apple. Now, go crazy and see if you have any extras in your fridge such as bacon or cheese. We dare you to add a pickle—perhaps pregnant ladies are on to something.
How to make a basic ham and cheese sandwich into a gourmet meal
Dip your ham and cheese sandwich in egg, fry it and—pow! You’ve got a Monte Cristo. Take this same sandwich using a thick slice of sourdough cut with a pocket for the ingredients and cook as above. Serve with maple syrup for the most delicious French toast.
Hacks for ham and cheese sandwiches are endless, from using prosciutto or salami to brie, swiss or blue cheese—or all of the above. Add a layer of pizzazz with pesto, roasted garlic, tomato slices, jelly, dijon, sliced apple or pizza sauce.
KEEP YOUR SANDWICH FRESH WITH ABEEGO BEESWAX WRAPS
Get your sandwich to-go with Abeego and keep it fresh and protected. Sturdier than other forms of wrap, Abeego holds the shape of your sandwich to keep all the goodness inside the bread. Abeego is also a completely reusable wrap so it’s the perfect solution for a litterless lunch.
If you went with a pickle (or cherry) on top, there’s a wrap for that! When wrapping up your sandwich in beeswax wrap, ensure you put a layer of Abeego in between, then fold each corner over to wrap your sandwich. The Abeego large beeswax wraps work best for sandwiches.
LIFE IS LIKE A SANDWICH
While adulting can be hard, adultifying your sandwich is the opposite! With a playful and experimental approach, you can give your classic kid sandwich a makeover and use leftovers, all the while creating new memories and perhaps a new family classic.
DO YOU HAVE A SIGNATURE SANDWICH? SHARE YOUR CREATIONS WITH US IN THE COMMENTS OR ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTER.
SHOP ALL ABEEGO REUSABLE FOOD WRAPS